Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pandemic The Board Game: Part 4



As there is only one way for players to win while there is three ways to lose players feel a sense of urgency and importance when trying to avoid the three situations that would cause a loss. Unfortunately all four outcomes are extremely anti-climatic. When I first played I didn’t even notice that we had won. It just sort of happened once we had turned over four tiles that indicated we had discovered cures for all the diseases. The seven outbreaks is perhaps the most intense and interesting outcome out of the four. Yet, I felt very little when seven outbreaks did occur. I shrugged my shoulders and thought “Oh well, guess there where too many cubes.” and packed up the game. This is where I think the Internet version Pandemic 2 succeeds in a way Pandemic can’t, simply because of its medium. The Internet version has visuals in its favor. A screen indicates how many people are infected by diseases and how many have died. The colors of the countries change depending on how many people are dying and as soon as you see that several countries are turning from dark green to a crimson red, you know that the diseases are taking over. This is what Pandemic tries to do with its cubes. But it doesn’t compare.

While I would probably rather play the online Pandemic 2 than play the board game does not mean it doesn’t succeed. My personal preference aside, Matt Leacock definitely manages to set up game mechanics that are focused on his two main design values – cooperative play and strategy. For me it was also the first time playing a board game that was cooperative against the game itself and that is innovative by Leacock. He could most likely have created a game where two teams would fight each other, one as the people trying to cure the world while the other teams were the disease trying to infect it.


Some of the reviews that I have read also write about some of the points that I’ve made. For example that using cubes to represent diseases doesn’t really cut it and seems to be artistically poorly designed. Most of the reviews point out something that I haven’t had to the chance to try but that trying to win the game on medium is very difficult and rarely happens, especially due to the randomness factor of the game. Very few of these reviewers seem to be disappointed by this fact. Many praise Pandemic for being so unpredictable and hard to win.  
One reviewer mentioned the fact that the game can often be controlled by a single player who announces themselves as team captain and tells everybody what to do. I can attest to this and it may be my lack of love for teamwork that I personally didn’t enjoy this game much.

Matt Leacock tells in an interview for meepletown.com that he believes that because of the lack of aesthetics and “chrome”, as he puts it, it allows players to create their own stories together. This would appeal to the storyteller player type. He also addresses one of the issues that I mentioned which is that he believes he underdeveloped the resolution that follows the climax after discovering all four cures. Leacock tells to bygonebureau.com that he believes that the reason for the success of Pandemic is because of its cooperative play. Rather than pitching your family against each other it brings people together and help each other make the right decisions.

From the reviews I have read and heard it seems as if Pandemic is a huge success and a crowd pleaser. I haven’t been able to find many flaws with the game, and most of the ones I have described are nitpicking.

­

No comments:

Post a Comment